Sunday, September 14, 2014

Mindy Kaling's, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns), Book Review

I was born to write. Oh, and to read. I am an amazing reader. I do it so well that I have read all sorts of books. I'm a borderline book hoarder. I know it's a problem, but I'm okay with it. I just can't get enough of the written word. I love how people can take their thoughts, ideas, and experiences and turn them into amazing tales. I'm jealous of the writer's ability to engage their readers and draw them in. Some minds are dark and twisted. Others can make you feel like you just finished exploring the world. Then, there are those who can make you forget that you had a bad day by making you laugh and let go.

Mindy Kaling, comedienne, actress, and writer, has released her first book titled  Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). It's a look into her mind. A glimpse into her life from her teen years all the way through to her successful entry into the world of comedy as a writer for The Office.

Kaling's book was the Birchbox Book Club selection for August, and since I'm a Birchblogger, I was given the chance to read her book and write a review. I wasn't paid to read it, so my opinions are in no way influenced. Which is good, because then it wouldn't be a review it would be compensated positivity. Nobody wants to read reviews that aren't truthful. Right?!

The Review


I can't say I was a die-hard Mindy fan from the beginning. I knew who she was and I have watched The Office and the Mindy Project. That was the extent of my Mindy knowledge. However, as I previously stated, I love to read. So, I gave her book the chance it deserved.

From the get-go I felt as if I was reading her personal journal or as if someone had made a blog into a book. Kaling explains her childhood struggles with her weight and her obsession with comedy. She shares how she lived with her college roommates for eight years. Their struggles to make it into the showbiz business, their tiny apartment, and rules for their friendship. Then she shares her experiences with getting her foot into the comedy world. This wasn't a laugh-out-loud sort of book. Okay, I did laugh a few times, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I wanted to be chuckling more often than not, and I wasn't. In one word, this book was okay. Very simple and not very in-depth. It was as if she didn't want to let people past her comedic surface into the true Mindy. That's just my opinion though.

If I had to rate this with stars, I'd give it three stars out of five. It's okay and an easy read, but I found myself forgetting about this book. I would read a few chapters and then it would sit on the shelf for a few days before I returned to it. That's when I can tell I'm just not that into a book. Mindy fans would probably love this, but I did not.

As always, thanks for reading.

Take care,
NB

6 comments:

  1. For years I had heard about Mindy Kaling and the brilliance of her show & comedy.
    Finally during a long plane trip, I got to watch numerous episodes.
    Like you, I felt as though it could be left on a shelf (or passed over on the TV). It was just..OK.
    I'm still not sold, but I keep trying to find what I'm missing.
    Maybe that's why it is called "The Mindy Project."
    Or maybe it's an Ohio thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably an Ohio thing. I am a huge fan of comedy, but this isn't my style. :)

      Delete
  2. I've thought about reading this book a few times. I love reading books by comedians. My favorite writers who are comedians are Lewis Black and George Carlin. I'm not obsessed with comedy and comedians, but I have a deep appreciation for it. Glad I read your review, because this doesn't sound like my cup of tea, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book has funny parts, but nothing comparable to the likes of Carlin. Thanks for the stopping by!
      NB

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the review, I too love to read and write. I've appreciated watching the Mindy project a few times. I will give her book a chance just because I like her honesty in her comedy. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my review. She is certainly honest and a really funny woman. Definitely give the book a chance. You may love it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)