Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Honey! Oh, Bother!

Woman in the Man Cave Honey Candy

One of the fun things about the holidays, for me, is baking. I love to make cookies and treats almost as much as I like eating them. I came across this recipe in my vintage recipe pile for Honey Candy Bites (no baking required!).  I wasn't too sure my husband would enjoy them, becaue he's not typically a honey fan. Well, he really liked these. So much so, that he asked me to make them for his company carry-in.


Before I get to the recipe, I want to re-visit #GivingTuesday. I know it has passed, but that doesn't mean you have to stop giving. I love shopping on Amazon. I've been doing so since before it was cool. I have come across an awesome little side of the online giant by the name of AmazonSmile. Go HERE to check it out. In a nutshell, you pick the charitable organization you want proceeds to benefit and then you shop like you normally would throughout the Amazon site (if you can't think of one to help, I know the National Multiple Sclerosis Society can always use the support). You don't have to pay any dues or a membership fee, you just shop and proceeds will be sent directly to your charity of choice. Easy peasy. You can do your holiday shopping and help a charity. Awesome sauce!

Okay, on to the Honey Candy Bites recipe.

Honey Candy Bites

Woman in the Man Cave, Honey Candy Bites RecipeMakes about 40-45

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup flour
3/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups grated coconut
2 cups rice krispie cereal or corn flakes
-------------
Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in milk, flour, honey and salt mixing thoroughly.  Cook over medium heat constantly stirring until dough leaves sides of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and 1 cup of coconut. Let cool.

While you are waiting for it to cool. Dump your cereal of choice into a gallon storage bag. Be sure to squeeze most of the air out before sealing it. Then, use a rolling pin to crush the cereal. If you don't have a rolling pin, you can use the bottom of a skillet or something comparable. Just get the cereal crushed for the next step.

Add cereal to the cooled honey mixture. Now, shape into 1-inch balls (or smaller) and then roll in 1/2 cup of coconut (you may need more coconut toward the end, I did).  Store in refrigerator.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


There you have it. An easy holiday treat to make for friends and family. I'm not quite sure how long these can be refrigerated, because they didn't last that long in my home. I'm gearing up for some holiday baking, so check back often for more recipes to wow family members with this holiday season.

If you try this recipe and use rice krispie cereal, let me know how they are. I used corn flakes and they were awesome.

Thanks for stopping by.

Take care,
NB










40 comments:

  1. These look good. Thank you for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love sharing recipes. I love the older recipes that have been ignored.

      Delete
  2. #Giving Tuesday was great idea, and hope it raised funds for many of the smaller organizations. Thanks for sharing such a sweet recipe. Anything with coconut and honey is going to be real tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love coconut, so I had to give these a try. Hope you do as well!

      Delete
  3. Think it would be ok without the coconut? Sounds wonderful but not a coconut fan. The rest sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I bet it would be just fine. My son isn't a big coconut fan either and he ended up picking it off of them. I hope you give them a try. They're good!

      Delete
  4. These look really good. I have got to stop looking at recipes or I'm going to be as big as a truck! So many yummy things!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I have my guys and friends try everything. I can't always resist though ;)

      Delete
  5. These sound easy enough for me to try making :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look like delicious little morsels of goodness.I would like to include them in my Christmas baking this year.Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. They'd be really good on a cookie platter.

      Delete
  7. These Honey Bites looks so good. Love honey and glad to find a recipe that uses it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey is so beneficial. These incorporate so many good things.

      Delete
  8. These sound amazing and my husband loves coconut so I may have to make these as last minute Christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't take long to make and they are really good!

      Delete
  9. OMG! This look so delicious. It is not often that I see a recipe like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! These look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look really delicious and like something most everyone would like. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband took some to work for his co-workers to try and they loved them. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  13. This look so good. I will try this weekend. Would be a perfect little snack, like a breakfast bar type thing to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These honey candy bites look yummy! I will have to try these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yum, adding these to my "to make in the future" list

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)