Saturday, September 20, 2014

A BLT Pie You Must Try!

BLT

As you know by now, I love tag sales. I'm also a big fan of flea markets. There's not much to do in Ohio (except visit nature preserves. . . we have some beautiful land).  So, starting on Thursdays it's always treasure hunt time. 

This past Friday, my husband, sons, and I went to a flea market. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but I ended up finding some useful stuff. I found a stool for my kitchen for a whopping $3 and some old cookbooks. If you know anything about old cookbooks, you know that they are treasure troves of recipe gems. I found about a dozen for $2. Deal! One of the cookbooks I found is called Celebrate American Cooking and it was published for Betty Crocker back in 1989. This would be called a 'vintage' book nowadays. I call it awesome!



As I was perusing the pages of this ripe old book, I came across a recipe called Impossible BLT Pie. I'm not quite sure why it's called that, but I immediately knew I had to make it. I'm glad I did too. It's outstanding. I subject my husband to all of these recipes I try and when I asked him how many stars out of five he'd give it, he said "eight out of five stars."  That's just proof that it's good. It's husband approved. 

Since I've lead you this far, I might as well divulge this fabulous recipe. It's a mix of cheesy, bready, and bacony summer deliciousness. It would be a great dish to take to a summer cookout or get-together. Here's the recipe!

                                       Impossible BLT Pie

Makes 8 slices
12 slices of Bacon, crisped and crumbled
5-6 ounces Swiss cheese (shredded or slices torn to pieces)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
4 eggs
1 cup baking mix
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Shredded lettuce
Sliced tomatoes

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate, 10x1 1/2 inches (I used a 9 inch pie plate. I had a little of the batter left over and I used a little less cheese because of the smaller pan size). Layer bacon and cheese in plate. Beat remaining ingredients, except lettuce and tomatoes, for one minute or until smooth.  Pour mix into pie plate, covering the bacon and swiss. 

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for five minutes. Garnish with lettuce and tomatoes and, if desired, crisply cooked bacon crumbles and mayonnaise or salad dressing. 

----------------------------

This was a quick and easy dish to make. We added a little mayonnaise to the top of the pie and then some crumbled bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes. SO GOOD! 

If you give this a try, I'd love to hear about it. Come back and tell me how great it was. 



As always, thanks for reading. 

Take care,
NB






5 comments:

  1. Mmm This BLT impossible pie looks delicious! We've always enjoyed the allure of impossible pie- throw some great ingredients in a pan and voila! You have pie!
    Adding this great bacon recipe to Kawartha Lakes Mums World Bacon Day Pinterest board

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne. I couldn't keep my husband away from it. We love BLT's and this is a tasty twist on the typical sandwich. Thanks for sharing it on Pinterest!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness I love BLT's!! I'm totally gonna try this.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like BLT's and this looks so good. I am going to have to try this out for a change. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic and so easy! I am going to have to try this sometime soon. I have pinned it for my next BLT craving! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)