Thursday, November 6, 2014

Get Chocolate Wasted! Make a Chocolate Mess


Crock Pot Cake Recipe - Chocolate MessOkay. I'm a messy cook by nature. I have tried to be the neat and tidy little lady in the kitchen, but I fail miserably every single time. When I came across this recipe for Chocolate Mess Cake tucked away in some vintage cook books I purchased from an auction, I knew it was a sign that I had to give it a try. The most difficult part of making this cake, was waiting for it to finish cooking so I could taste it!


As I've said before, I love to find old cook books with someone's favorite recipe shoved inside on a handwrittern recipe card. This is one of those recipes. I read the ingredients and tried to picture how many times Lilly (that's the woman's name whose cook books I purchased from auction) made this cake.  There was chocolate dried to the card and it showed signs of wear. Which leads me to believe she made this often. Not to mention, she had written the recipe three seperate times on different note cards and little scraps of paper that she tucked away in random cook books. She must have loved it. 

When you're mixing this cake, the batter gets really thick. So, be prepared to put a little work in. It's so worth it though! 

Crock Pot Chocolat Mess CakeChocolate Mess

1 Chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I'm sure you can substitute this as needed)
1 pint sour cream
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 box Chocolate instant pudding mix
6 oz chocolate chips
Crock Pot
Cooking spray

Combine chocolate cake mix, oil, sour cream, water, and eggs. Mix well.  Then add box of instant chocolate pudding to the mix. Mix some more until smooth. After you have mixed the instant pudding in, fold in the chocolate chips.  Spray crock pot with cooking spray and then dump the Chocolate Mess in. Be sure to level the mess off once it's in your crock pot. Just take a spatula and even the top off.  Set your slow cooker to 'Low' and let cook for 4-6 hours. You'll know it's done when the middle is set and you can touch the top and it bounces back up. Depending on your slow cooker, you may need more or less time.
Crock Pot Cake
Once the cake is done, remove the crock portion from the base of your slow cooker and let set for 30 minutes.

Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

This cake is really moist and rich. If you like chocolate, I'm pretty sure you are going to LOVE this cake. It's easy and tastes so good!  I'm not quite sure if you can do this with alternative cake and pudding flavors, but I may just give it a try.

Chocolate Mess Recipe for your slow cookerI hope you try this and if you do, let me know how you liked it. You can find me on Facebook at Woman in the Man Cave and on Twitter as @NmsBauer.  Connect with me and share your favorite chocolate recipes.

Thanks for reading!

Take care,
NB




32 comments:

  1. It looks great. I too get pretty messy cooking so even the name fits me. My kids would love this with the chocolate chips and pudding in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you make it for them. It's so good!

      Delete
  2. I'm a very messy baker. Last night I made a pie crust for chicken pot pie and I was covered with flour, my DD was covered with flour, and the entire kitchen was covered with flour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never fails, I always wear black when I am using flour. I get it everywhere! :)

      Delete
  3. You had me at crockpot cake! This is something I've been meaning to try - I'm definitely giving this a whirl today. :D

    Jenn, x@jenn.nu
    http://www.jenn.nu

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so yummy. Chocolate cake is my boyfriend and my grandson's favorite. I am not fond of baking, so this would be great for me. I think I will make one, and if it goes over good, make another for Christmas dinner. Bet they love it. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it. It's so good. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  5. That looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great,I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it. It's so easy and really good!

      Delete
  7. This looks yummy. It looks easy also. Will certainly try! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do. It was a hit in my house. It would be great for a company carry-in or for guests on a cold winter day.

      Delete
  8. I wanna get chocolate wasted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! Does it matter what size crock pot you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, I would assume it doesn't really matter. I would just adjust the time. I have two different sized crock pots and I opted to use my smaller one. It would probably cook a bit faster in a larger one. It's really good, but don't forget the ice cream to go with it ;)

      Delete
  10. Yum! This sounds so good! I'm not a huge chocolate cake fan but my fiance loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to try this! It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good and looks very moist. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)