Monday, November 3, 2014

Easy and Delicious, Risotto from Lidia's Italy

Risotto recipe, easy and delicious

I love Italian food. So, it's no suprise I would post about some really delicious Risotto. The other morning I was perusing Saturday morning television and I came across Lidia's Italy television program. I love watching her cook. She makes the most delicious dishes. If I ever get the chance, I am going to dine at one of her restaurants. Someday!


The risotto recipe listed here is actually one of hers. I mean, really, if you can't make it better than she can then why try? I had never made risotto outside of the boxed meals, so I was a bit nervous to give it a try. I'm not sure why, but I was.  I was also eager to see just how good her recipe turned out.

Let me tell you, it's AH-MAZING! So much flavor and texture in one little dish. I made it for my family at lunch. I was going to wait until dinner, but I couldn't stand it anymore and just had to give it a try. I'm glad I did, too. I wasn't the only one who liked it, my husband and sons did as well. It was relatively easy to make and it took about a half an hour from start to finish. 

If you are searching for some great Italian recipes, you should visit Lidia's website HERE. There is a whole section of recipes and she even has a blog on the site as well. There are even more risotto recipes beyond this basic one. Since I know you'll love this dish, I'm going to get to the recipe. Enjoy!

Lidia's Basic Risotto

Makes 6 Servings
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, minced2 tablespoons shallots, minced2 cups arborio rice½ cup white wine, dry6 cups chicken stock½ teaspoon salt, or as needed2 teaspoons unsalted butter½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly gratedfreshly ground black pepper 

Risotto recipeIn a heavy, wide 3- to 4-quart casserole or pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and shallots and cook them until golden, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil. Toast the rice until the edges become translucent, 1 to 2 minutes. 

Pour in the wine and stir well until evaporated. Add 1/2 cup of the hot stock and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until all the stock has been absorbed. Continue to add hot stock in small batches- just enough to completely moisten the rice- and cook until each successive batch has been absorbed. Stir constantly and adjust the level of heat so the rice is simmering very gently while adding the stock until the rice mixture is creamy but al dente. This will take from 16 to 20 minutes from the time the wine was added. 

Remove the casserole from the heat. Beat in the butter until completely melted, then half of the grated cheese. Adjust the seasoning with salt, if necessary, and pepper. 

Top each serving with some of the remaining grated cheese; serve immediately, ladled into warm shallow bowls. 


I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did. Definitely give it a try and let me know how you liked it. If you have any Italian recipes you think I'd enjoy, please message me at womaninthemancave@yahoo.com with them. If they're good, I'll feature you on my blog. 









2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Risotto being easy which makes me more nervous to try it but this blog saying this recipe as easy makes me more likely to try it especially since it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really sounds good. My family like Italian food also. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)