Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Resolutions

Some things in life don't matter. That's quite obvious. The fact that your hair isn't perfect or you are a little overweight does not define who you are. I lived a relatively healthy lifestyle and I found out I had Multiple Sclerosis. Things happen and what matters is how we respond. There is no way of getting around it. You have to live your life and not let what happens stop you from doing so. 

The same goes for the New Year. People make these resolutions that are completely senseless. I've heard so many people say "my resolution is going to be to lose weight". That's nice. Why do you need a new year to make these changes that affect your health? I've never really understood it. Can't people make amazing, life-inspiring resolutions? Yes. Yes they can. They just choose not to, because it takes effort and that's not on their to-do list this year. 

When new year's arrive I think it better to look back on the previous year and see what didn't work and resolve to make those things change in the upcoming year. Don't make the same empty promises year after year. If you're going to lose weight, a new year will not make that happen. Resolve to make changes that can help the long-term goal. Ones that will be a part of your life for the rest of your life. Not just a fleeting moment of skinniness (I'm not quite sure that's a word, but I'm going to use it). 

One of my favorite quotes ever is from, my hero, Eleanor Roosevelt and it should apply to each and every person alive. 
 "Your ambition should be to get as much life out of living as you possibly can, as much enjoyment, as much interest, as much experience, as much understanding. Not simply be what is generally called a "success."

Never have such truer words been spoken.  Making empty resolutions is not an option. Resolution is defined as a decision to do something.  A decision that is so strongly decided that there is no doubt. When I read Eleanor's quotes, and I read them often, I feel the need to do something greater. I don't make resolutions to lose weight or save money. I make resolutions that involve sky diving or writing part of my book. I'm not doing things to impress others, I'm doing things that will leave an impression upon my sons someday. 

Resolve to live life. Do things that will be remembered. When you are older and telling your grandchildren stories, they will not want to hear about the diet you did in 2015. They want to hear about adventures, changes that can be passed down and traditions that can shared. 

For Pete's sake, get in the car and take a road trip instead of tending to your garden one day and if you can't do it alone drag a friend out of their garden and take them with you. Make it a goal to visit all of the nature reserves in the state. Take a cooking class. Find something you've always wished you could do and learn as much as you can about it or take a class so that you can say you know how to do that task finally.  

Make a list, like a bucket list, and make it your goal to mark things off of that list. Place it on your refrigerator or somewhere where you will always see it. Don't be a slacker or procrastinator. Do what Eleanor suggest and live life to the fullest. 

We are not guaranteed forever, so stop living like you are. You will look back and see missed opportunities. Don't let those opportunites be so great that you have regrets. Making empty New Year's resolutions is not acceptable. Just decide that you will do one amazing thing and don't stop until you've accompished it. The feeling you get will be so wonderful, you'll want to set new goals. Don't ever stop acheiving those resolutions. 

I wish you all the Happiest New Year and I hope you have amazing accomplishments. I'd love to hear what your resolutions and goals this year will be. Stop by Woman in the Man Cave on Facebook and let me know what you'll be doing. Take care!

18 comments:

  1. Great advice. So sorry you were diagnosed with MS. I have a friend with it and she has been trying lots of different approaches to cope with the symptoms. I hope you are feeling well this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista. I started my new year off with new MS modifiers. Here's to hope, happiness, and a wicked awesome life! I wish you, and your friend, the best!

      Delete
  2. I really like this quote and I totally agree. Things are what they are and some things we just can't change. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we can't focus our life on what is not meant to be changed. We can however enjoy it's bumps ;)

      Delete
  3. Hey Nicole, always great to read other people actually understand what 'resolution' is. New Year = New Me. Well not really. I have a lot of respect for Eleanor too, her wisdom is a gift. Here's hoping all of our resolutions are fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I am making it a goal to do something different each year, not just change who I am physically. Live is meant to be lived. Carpe diem!

      Delete
  4. Your post made me reflect about a few things. My "resolution" was not about losing weight, but still not really important. As I am now a grandmother, it is time to refresh that bucket list, and get moving on it. Good luck to you on getting some of yours done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I think we are too quick to make empty resolutions. I hope you find some amazing adventures to experience and live life to it's fullest. Happy 2015!

      Delete
  5. I am not a resolution person. I have so many things I would like to be better about, it would be impossible to resolve them all. I do try to live each day better than the last. To tell those that I love, that I love them. To have more understanding of those that hurt me. Most of the time I am on track...but I sure mess up a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're supposed to mess up, that's what makes us human. And, those are usually the best memories we make.

      Delete
  6. I hope you're able to commit to your resolution. Have a wonderful new blogging year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm certainly jumping out of that plane this spring! ;)

      Delete
  7. What wise words! My "resolution" this year is just to spend more time with my sweet husband and grandson (who lives with us). Certainly we'll all get more out of life. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My Mom had MS. She's been gone for 18 years, but I know that tremendous gains have been made in the treatment and management of MS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am grateful to live in a time when there are so many options for treatements as well as advances in MS research. I just hope things keep moving forward. Enjoy your time with your husband and grandson :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome post.
    I don't make resolutions. They're just another excuse to put something off.
    Nike's slogan "Just Do It" puts it in perspective. Don't waste time, do everything you can with what you have because you never know when it might be taken away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! I agree with you completely. Life happens :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)