Sunday, April 6, 2014

Reusing

Since I'm beginning to convert our home into a chemical-free clean zone I've decided to reuse items I have already been using. One of those items is the Bath & Body Works foaming soap pump. It's a handy little bottle and considering it's still a usable item I felt that tossing it in the trash was not a wise decision. So, I cleaned the bottle out and made my own foaming hand soap.

It was a simple recipe formulated from items that I am already using throughout my home. Now that I am an avid user of Dr. Bronner's Organic Baby-Mild Liquid Castile Soap I have been experimenting with the many options. One of those is now as a refill in my foaming soap dispenser. How, you may be wondering? Well, easy peasy.

I simply filled the dispenser 2/3 full of water and then filled the other 1/3 up using my castile soap. Then I added the five drops of orange essential oil and five drops of eucalyptus essential oil. After that, I gently shook the bottle to mix. It worked wonderfully and left my hands feeling really clean and surprisingly soft.

I had my sons try it as well and they liked the smell. I'm sure they really didn't give a crap about my amazing soap recipe, but if it is kid-approved it must be good. I guess you could say it was tested on kids instead of animals.

The nice thing about this soap is that it's free from harsh chemicals that can dry out hands, GMO free, and it is just as effective as the $5 version I so loved, but cost less than a dollar to make overall. Also, I can choose the scents I want to mix to get the desired aromatherapy effects. It's a win-win situation all around.

So, the next time you are considering throwing something away (or recycling, of course) that may have another use evaluate if that item can be reused in another way. By doing so you can eliminate extra cost, create a potentially safer home, and maybe even lower your carbon footprint.

On a side note, during the month of April on Dr. Bronner's site (you can click on their name and it will take you right to their Monthly Specials page) they are having a sale and offering most of their Castile soaps for 15% off. I'm a big fan of the Baby-Mild Unscented version,
because I know I will be adding my own essential oils to my concoctions. However, they have a lot of other options to choose from. Scents like lavender, rose, peppermint and tea tree, plus many more. If you have been considering making the change, now would be a great time to head on over to their site and purchase a bottle. It's definitely worth it!

Take care.

NB

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I found it on the April Blog Hop. This post has given me so much insight!! I'm also a mommy blogger and I enjoy connecting with other fellow bloggers. We have to stick together :) but if you get a chance you should stop by my blog to check me out! Hope to see you stop by sometime :)

    http://themommaproject.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have to stick together! I'll be stopping by The Momma Project!

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge supporter of Dr Bronner it's the best soap out there never thought to try that. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)