Friday, February 27, 2015

Smart Saving From Your Phone


I'm a sucker for saving money. I'm not one of those coupon queens like you see on television with a garage full of items they purchased for just pennies, but I do use coupons whenever I can. Whether I clip them or I can electronically download them, I am always trying to find a way to save my family money. 

Since I've been doing this for a long time, I've discovered quite a few resources that I figured I'd share. I'm sure you know about most, if not all, of these. However, there may be some of you who haven't discovered these money-saving tools to add to your arsenal of penny-pinching. 

It seems everyone has jumped on board the smart phone train. My aunt has recently switched from using an old flip phone to a more modern (and much more fun) iPhone. I also use an iPhone. They are handy little devices, even for moms like me who like to keep it simple whenever I can. With all sorts of apps and features, it's easy to turn that little device into a money-saving machine. 

For example, a few of my favorite apps help me to save money on items I am already planning on buying. The first app is called Ibotta. You can download it in the Apple App store or as an Android app on Google Play and you can even access the site from your computer. Once downloaded, you open the app, create an account and start selecting the items you plan on purchasing at the stores you shop in (from grocery stores, clothing, and many more) and unlock them. Then, you shop. When you get home you simply open the app and follow the instructions to redeem your rebates. It's as simple as scanning bar codes and your receipt. Once you hit a certain dollar amount of rebates, you can transfer your savings into a Paypal account. Checkout 51 works in almost the same manner. Download the app, then every Thursday morning you can check to see what the new featured items are. You then select the ones you know you'll be purchasing, buy those items and then go into the app and follow the instructions for uploading your receipt through the app. Simple and money-saving. 

There are also local grocery store apps available like Meijer and Kroger. I use both. With the Kroger app you download it to your device, login to your account and then you can add coupons directly to your Plus Card. You can even fill prescriptions, load a shopping list and keep track of your fuel points. Easy and oh so convenient. The Meijer app works in about the same way, but you'll need to register for an mPerks account which is free. They also offer digital coupons you can download to your mPerks account and use when you are checking out. You simply enter your info at the credit card machine while the clerk is swiping your groceries. The app has coupons, challenges, and other great features. 

Maybe you haven't joined the smart phone craze, but you have a computer and printer. Sites like Coupons.com (they do require you download a coupon printing file, it's safe), redplum.com and smartsource.com are great resources for printing out savings. You might recognize RedPlum and Smartsource from your Sunday papers. Yep, you don't have to purchase that Sunday paper to get those savings. You can print them right from your computer. You can even print P&G savings from home via pgeveryday.com. 

Another bonus, you can use coupons along with those smart phone apps. It's called stacking. You visit the store, shop, use the paper coupons or digitally downloaded store coupons (the ones you load directly to your Plus card or mPerks), and then you can also redeem the app rebates on top of that via Ibotta and Checkout 51. It could possibly lead to you purchasing items for mere pennies. 

If you like to travel or frequent local businesses like my family does, then the Groupon app is a nice app to have. When my family went to Lake Erie on vacation, I checked the Groupon app for deals in that area. I ended up purchasing a $25 gift card to a family-owned restaurant for $10. We probably wouldn't have heard about the spot had I not searched the app. We also saved on our ferry ride to the islands using the app and our campground. I have also used it to find local deals for all sorts of things from getting my hair done to purchasing those much needed oil changes. You don't have to have a smart phone to get the deals either. You can visit Groupon to start saving as well. If you refer friends through the link in your account, they will give you $10 in Groupon Bucks. 

The internet is handy tool to have on your side if you like to save money. There are so many other resources out there. It's as simple as doing a search for 'free printable coupons' or 'coupon apps' and you will begin saving money. Sure, it takes a little work. Once you get into a system and find the sites or apps that work for you, it isn't so bad. Just be sure to watch the reviews for the apps or sites. 

There are a lot of apps and websites available. I have merely listed my favorite apps for saving money. I hope you can find some useful tools that help your family save money as well. If you find something handy that I'm not using I'd love to hear about it. You can send me an email at womaninthemancave@yahoo.com or you can visit Woman in the Man Cave on Facebook and leave me a link. If you visit my Facebook page, you can join my Ibotta team. Just look for my Ibotta link posted. Through the Ibotta app, you can build a money saving team and earn even more money towards your rebate. It's simple and a fun way to save. I look forward to hearing how you pinch pennies and help your family saved their hard-earned money. Take care.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)