Thursday, March 12, 2015

Girl Scout Cookies and Pie

Peanut Butter Pie

I grew up in a single family home. We didn't have two pennies to our name, but we always had a jar of peanut butter in the cabinet. It was something cheap that provided protein and I can remember going in to the kitchen for a snack and getting a scoop of peanut butter with some crackers. After years of eating it, you'd think I wouldn't want anything to do with it. That's not true at all. To this day I always keep a jar in my cabinet. It's my go-to snack in a pinch. When it came time to make this Baked Peanut Butter Pie I knew it would be a hit in my home.



Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pie I was right too. The pie only lasted a day.

 When I first told my husband I was going to make it, he seemed a little apprehensive about it. He's the one who suggested a little chocolate on top. So, I took his advice and made good even better.

My favorite part about this pie is the crushed Girl Scout Cookies on top. Those Do-si-do's didn't know what hit them when I crushed them up and sprinkled them on top of this delicious thing. They were the icing on the cake, so to speak. If you don't feel like using those valuable Girl Scout cookies on the pie you can always substitute them for plain old peanut butter cookies or something similar. It's your pie, go nuts!

Since it's been a while since I posted a good recipe, I figured I'd get back into the swing of things with this. I really hope you pie lovers give this a try. It's easy and delicious.


Baked Peanut Butter Pie

1 frozen 9-inch pie crust
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used creamy, you can use crunchy too just add a few tablespoons more if you do)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
7-8 crushed Girl Scout Do-si-do cookies
3 squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pull frozen pie crust out and set on cookie sheet.

2. In a mixing bowl, beat corn syrup, sugar, peanut butter and salt until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.

3.  Pour mixture into 9-inch pie shell. You will have too much mixture to fill the shell. Just fill until it reaches the pie crust rim. Do not overfill.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pie4.  Bake for 30 minutes. Cover pie loosely with aluminum foil, making sure to not let the foil rest on top of the pie. You will want to make a dome-type foil top for the pie. This helps to ensure the pie does not burn or get too brown. I like to spray mine with a little cooking spray to help ensure it doesn't stick.

5.  Bake for an additional 30-40 minutes. Check to see if the center of the pie is almost set. It shouldn't be runny or jiggly (for lack of a better term).

6. Remove pie from oven and remove the foil. Let cool on a wire rack for thirty minutes.

7. Place cookies in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into small chunks.

8. Break the three baking chocolate cubes apart and place into microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted.

9. Spread crushed cookies on pie and then drizzle with chocolate.

10. Eat the pie! It's good warm or cold. After another hour of cooling, either eat it all up or refrigerate it until later.

There you have it. A delicious peanut butter pie that you will want to share with friends (or eat all by yourself). I hope you give it a try. If you do, let me know. If Peanut Butter Pie isn't your thing, then check out my Fifteen Minute Chocolate Cream Pie HERE. This is my oldest son's favorite. It's easy and so good!

As always, thanks for reading.
Take care!
NB






6 comments:

  1. Yummy recipe. I like those girl scout cookies but never thought to use them like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut Butter Pie with chocolate topping sounds amazing! Gotta try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)