Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Spring and Clean


I have to admit, I'm a neat freak. My favorite saying is 'a place for everything and everything in it's place'. I live by it and I say it to my guys more than they would like to hear it. That's okay though, because they always know where things are and their beloved posessions last longer that way. Since it's finally Spring and it's time to get cleaning, I figured I'd share a few tips I've learned over the years.


That being said, I'm always on the lookout for useful tips to keep my cleaning routine easy, safe, and affordable. As you may already know, I have tried to eliminate as many harsh chemicals from my home as possible. They aren't necessary for a healthy and clean home. I have been making my own laundry soap for over a year and I love it. It's a simple mixture of Borax, Arm & Hammer's Super Washing Soda, and a bar of Fels Naptha or Zote Soap. It does not leave clothes smelling like any type of perfume additives. If you need that then you can add the Downy Unstopables or something similar. However be aware that the perfume aspect in laundry detergent can be a dangerous health hazard in itself. If you do a little research about the chemicals in them, you will see the impact it can potentially have on your health and the environment as well.

Homemade Laundry Soap

2 cups borax
2 cups Super Washing Soda
1 bar of Zote soap or Fels Naptha

Graphics via http://thegraphicsfairy.com/retro-clip-art-sweeping-people-cleaning/I usually grate the bar soap with an old cheese grater I purchased at Goodwill. Then I throw it in with the borax and washing soda and mix it all up. I like to put a few cups at a time through my 'laundry blender'. It's a blender I got at a garage sale that I use solely for grinding up my laundry soap. You don't have to do this step, it just helps breakdown the bar soap a little better. You can double or even triple this recipe if you want a larger laundry soap supply. I usually double the amounts and it lasts a few months. It is much cheaper than the big name brand soaps and it does just as good a job. You can store it in a mason jar or an old plastic juice pitcher. I only use 1/8 cup per load unless it's a really dirty load, then I use 1/4 cup.
--------------------------
Laundry isn't my only time-consuming cleaning routine. I have come across some great tips for lots of different aspects of my home. For instance, I always sew a button to the corner of my dishcloths. I use it to scrape food off of bowls and other dishes that want to put up a dishwater fight. It's a convenient time-saver that has come in handy and saves me from having to stock a seperate scrub sponge for dishes.


Since I have two sons I also have to deal with their wrath as well. When they were younger they'd have crayon marks all over the table (and walls, toys, and anywhere else they could find to release their creativity). This was an easy fix in most cases. I would spray the crayon marks with some foaming shaving cream (not the gel type, use Gilette or the dollar store brand) and let it sit. Then I could usually wipe the stain right off. Shaving cream has worked for stains on my couch as well. Make sure to wipe it off with a warm cloth afterwards.

There are so many items in the typical home that people don't think to clean. Like the can opener. Have you looked at yours? It's probably pretty gross unless you are a neat freak like me. I use a toothbrush to clean it every month or so. Keeps the grime down. How about inside your oven? I have a natural cleaning method that has eliminated those harsh chemicals. It's a mixture of 4 drops of Dawn dish soap, a little lemon juice, 4 tablespoons of baking soda and 5 tablespoons of vinegar. Mix it all together in a bowl (slowly add the vinegar to the baking soda or you'll have a volcano experiment) and it will form a paste. Spread this all over the inside of your oven, scrub the tough spots with a scrubby sponge and then shut the oven door and let it sit for a few hours. Clean with a damp washcloth and some warm water until the paste is all gone. If you have a few stubborn stains, just use the scrub sponge before removing the paste and put a little muscle into it. An easy and natural way to a cleaner oven.

One more tip, which I learned from my Grandma, is to use rubbing alcohol to remove grease from appliances and counters. It works wonders and it's cheap. I love the oldie-but-goodie tips that are still vital today. I remember my Grandma taking her artificial flowers and putting them in a paper bag with some salt. She'd shake the bag for a few minutes and then take the flowers outside and shake them out so that all of the salt was gone. The salt acted as a duster for the plants. You'd be suprised how much dust that salt can remove. Salt and baking soda were a commodity in my Grandma's home cleaning routine.

Graphics via http://thegraphicsfairy.com/retro-clip-art-sweeping-people-cleaning/Maybe you're not into the whole homemade cleaner routine, but still like the green approach. I have recently stumbled across a website I love called ePantry. They sell natural products at discounted prices and deliver them right to your door. Score! If you follow THIS link you will get a $10 credit to start your first order with. My first time through I ordered some of the Mrs. Meyers Honeysuckle dish soap and let me tell you, it smells soooooo good! I found myself doing dishes a couple times a day just so I could smell the stuff. Love it! I ordered a few more items like Tom's Whole Care Toothpaste, Seventh Generation Fabric Softener (Lavender, fabulous) and Mrs. Meyers Gel Hand Soap (I love Mrs. Meyers products in case you couldn't tell - their window spray is amazing!).  Good stuff!

I hope I've given you a few useful tips to use. If you have any useful ideas to make home cleaning an easier task, I'd love to hear about them. You can email me at womaninthemancave@yahoo.com or visit me over on Facebook at Woman in the Man Cave. Take care!

**I wanted to thank The Graphics Fairy for the super cool retro clips I used in this post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy reader feedback and I respond as soon as I can. Take care :)